Derk Tollin

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

At Long Last

It has been over a year since I last had a blog to call my own, so you'll have to excuse me if I seem a little anxious to get things rolling and tell you all about what I have been up to since I last made my thoughts and, at the time, dreams known to the internet public.

Right, so what's new? Hmmmm...

Well, for starters, Alli has gone back to college to become a teacher. She is still very "motherly" towards me which is not always a bad thing. For instance, I ruptured the Suprapetellar (sp?) Tendon in my left knee about a week ago and she has been nothing short of a angel.

I was on crutches for about a week and have to use my knee brace on and off, much to my doctors dismay. He says that I will need surgery to repair it. However, in my personal opinion, that would be a step backwards from where I am now.

The first two days were the most painful since I could barely get my leg up onto my bed to sleep. This was very depressing and I remember being angry at myself for not dealing with the pain as a man but, instead, crying like a child.

The fifth day was the first day that I could actually start sleeping on my right side . It was amazing how something like that made me smile throughout the whole day and not a single thing that would have normally pissed me off to no end could ruin this miracle.

It is now day 8 and I can walk around for hours, sleep on both sides, bend my leg at such an angel that is actually comfortable for me to sit in a chair... and all without my brace on.

So you can easily see how such an action as going to surgery to take care of this little problem would only hinder my current state of happiness and daily steps to full recovery, no matter what a doctor tells me.

Harry is dead. That was a sad day for both Alli and I. Even though he was sort of responsible for the situation that I was put into, he was more a puppet then anything else and so we actually felt pity for the man.

No one knows exactly how he died, depending on who you talk to. The police (as bad in real life as they were in Avelon, it seems) say that he died from multiple gunshots to the chest and head. The coroner report states that he was strangled to death, mentioning nothing about gunshot wounds at all. The only thing that anyone can agree on is that Harry is no more.

Lyle got released from jail (after Harry was killed, in case you wanted to know) due to some corrupt judge who got paid to say that there was not enough evidence to continue on with the trial and thus throw the case, along with Lyle and our dreams of having a positive outcome from last years mishap, out of court.

Lyle has been brought back to court time and time again, only to have his case thrown out by judges who get disbarred for taking bribes and retire to Florida a few weeks later.

Whoever Lyle's "friends'" are, they sure have a pocketbook bigger then even I can hope to accumulate.

Which brings me to... well... me.

Besides my recent knee problem, I have been working in the food industry and plan on starting my own food business in the next couple of years. I was recently up for a promotion but got turned down for some idiot who knew nothing about the industry itself (not that I had a real good idea myself). This person, who will remain nameless, didn't even know what "food cost" was until I told her. That should tell you just how screwed up this company really is.

Hence the reason why I want to start my own food business - to blow them the f*** out of the water. I already have a set-up in mind that would blow their speed of service times out of the water. All I need now is enough money and it will be "game on".

As you can imagine, starting your own business takes a lot of time out of ones day, so that is what I do now when I'm not working for that idiot of a boss.

Oh crap! I almost forgot about Tracy... oh, sweet, sexy little Tracy. Wow! What can I say about her that is new? Well, she took one look in the mirror and decided she better settle down with someone quick and start a family before she turns to dust (her words, not mine). So, she traveled to France and picked up the first guy she met with a European accent and settled down.

Alli and I speak with her every so often, mostly via e-mail since the phone charges are painful to look at when the bill shows up, and we've gone to France a couple of times to hang out with her and her hubby. Most of the time she talks about how she can never understand him (Tracy isn't very fluent in French. Not that I am, but she's even worse then me in that area) except when they are... how do I say this properly?... "together". As Tracy puts it, "There are just some things that are understood, no matter what language they are in." Giggle, giggle, nudge, nudge.

Well, I think I covered just about all of the new and important news. I will update this blog as time goes on to keep everyone updated on the progress of my knee as well as anything else that may pop up from time to time.

Until then...

7 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Jot said...

Derk! Been a long time, man. It's me, Jot! Sorry to hear about your knee. It's good to see you're still around. You're gonna have to pop on AIM, or IRC and have a chat with us.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger ProfMoriarty said...

Well, it's about time we all heard from ya! I'm glad things are going *relatively* well for you. Sorry to hear about Harry, as evil as his deeds were.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Keith Bergstrom said...

Fantastic to hear from you Dirk... I was just talking about the good times with Six who I ran into on the opposite side of the Net.

Hope you stay in contact, you, of course, know how to reach Team Tollins if you need any thing.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Keith Bergstrom said...

Oh yeah Keith = Kjartan.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger dark wingstalker said...

Hey, im a new reader, saw your blog, and it looked interesting. seems like i missed quite a story, but anyway-hope your knee gets better, and i hope we get to know each other well :D

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger dark wingstalker said...

theres another new blog i was checking out, and weirdly enough, you might wanna check it out, the guys working in the food industry, might have some pointers you could pick up maybe??

Anyhow, do with it what you will, the link is http://bethemanager.blogspot.com/

check it out ;)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger TheSaint said...

Thank you all for posting. Business is my life, so I am reading that "Be the Manager" blog that Dark pointed out to me. Interesting read, since that is the industry that I am, myself, into at the moment. There is just something about coming home with a sweaty hat that proves that you put in a hard days work. I don't know how I ever liked "UNI" in the first place. This type of industry, while the pay isn't that great, is more labor intensive. Besides, it's not like I have a really good resume. I mean, who would I put down as a reference? "So, where did you go to school?" "Avelon High." "Where's that?" "In an alternate universe created by a mad-man for no other reason then to profit from the deaths of others while trying to control the world." "Thanks for your time, Mr. Tollin." "No problem."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home